Fish Tacos with
California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa
Recipe created by chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger for the California Avocado Commission.
California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa:
2 medium Ancho chiles, wiped clean, stem medium and seeded
1 pink grapefruit, chilled
1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
1/2 bunch chives, chopped
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Pacific halibut fillet
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
4 lettuce leaves
- For California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa: Toast Ancho chiles directly over a medium gas flame or in a cast-iron skillet until soft and brown. Turn frequently to avoid scorching. Slice toasted chiles into 1-inch strips, then into a fine julienne.
- Slice ends off grapefruit and stand the fruit upright on your work surface. Cut away peel and membrane, exposing fruit. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, separate the grapefruit sections by slicing with a knife between membranes. Remove and discard seeds.
- Cut grapefruit segments and avocados into 1/2-inchdice. Toss with toasted Ancho chiles and chives in a medium mixing bowl. Gently stir in reserved grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Let sit 30 minutes before serving.
- For Fish Tacos: On the stovetop, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat or prepare a medium-hot grill. Drizzle halibut with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill until barely done, 2 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove fish from grill, cool slightly, and pull apart into large flakes.
- Place warm tortillas on a work surface. Line each with a piece of lettuce and chunks of fish.
- Top each with a generous spoonful of California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 (2 taco) servings.
Note: Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 451; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 41mg; Total Carbs: 42g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 32g; Sodium: 568mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Avocado Commission.