Florida Grouper and Roasted Vegetables
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
1 large Florida grouper fillet (approximately 1 pound)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small Florida zucchini, chopped into thin rounds
1 Florida carrot, chopped into small rounds
1/2 red Florida pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 yellow Florida pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium Florida onion, chopped
8 Florida cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
1 tablespoon brown or natural sugar
1 lemon, freshly squeezed
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon dried sweet basil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the cleaned fish in the middle of a baking pan. Spread 1 tablespoon of olive oil on fish, making sure to cover both sides. Squeeze the lemon on both sides of the fish and sprinkle with the cracked black pepper.
- Sauté the chopped vegetables in the remaining olive oil just enough to soften a little and set aside. In a small cup, mix the oregano, basil and salt, and spread on both sides of the fish. Pour the sautéed vegetables over the fish.
- In a bowl, mix the sugar, ketchup and tomato juice and pour over the fish.
- Cover and place in the oven until it is done all the way; the flesh should be soft and flaky. Do not overcook. A general rule for cooking fish is 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.