Florida Mullet Wrapped in Pancetta
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
4 (6-ounce) mullet fillets
16 thin slices of pancetta ham (or 12 slices bacon)
Olive oil for cooking
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lemon, quartered for garnish
4 sprigs fresh thyme for garnish
- Lightly season the mullet fillets with salt and pepper. Preheat a medium-sized, oven-proof sauté pan over medium heat. Wrap each mullet fillet with the pancetta or bacon (use toothpicks to keep the pancetta in place as needed).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the preheated sauté pan. Carefully place all 4 of the wrapped mullet fillets in the sauté pan. Cook the fillets for 3 to 5 minutes on one side or until the pancetta is crispy and golden brown.
- Carefully flip each fillet over in the pan and place the whole pan on the middle rack of the preheated oven. Cook the fillets in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes until the fish is completely cooked.
- To serve, remove any toothpicks from the fish and garnish with lemon and thyme.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.