Four-Cheese Seafood Lasagna
Seafood lasagna, filled with mushrooms, spinach and fresh herbs to complement your choice of fish or shellfish. Enjoy with warm garlic bread and a fresh green salad.
12 mushrooms, sliced
10 tablespoons butter - divided use
1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 16-ounce) package lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
2 pounds mixed seafood, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large skillet, sauté mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of the butter until tender, 3 to 5 minutes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, spinach, basil, eggs, Parmesan cheese, half of the salt and half of the pepper. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan and briefly sauté garlic over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisk continuously, for several minutes. Gradually add milk and broth, whisking constantly. Cook sauce over medium heat until thickened. Stir in tomato paste and season with the remaining salt, remaining pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Spread a bit of the sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Arrange one-third of the noodles over the sauce. Top this with a layer of mushrooms, half of the seafood and half of the spinach-cheese mixture.
- Add another layer of noodles and cover with a layer of sauce. Add the remaining seafood and remaining spinach-cheese mixture and top with a final layer of noodles. Spoon on remaining sauce and top with Swiss cheese and cheddar cheese. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Makes 8 servings.