Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
1 1/2 pounds herring fillets
All-purpose flour for dusting
2 large eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons milk
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup porridge (quick) oats
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
Orange wedges and flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oil 360°F (182.2°C).
- Cut the fillets into small to medium sized pieces and dust with flour.
- Beat eggs, milk and seasoning together.
- Mix oats and mustard together.
- Dip herring in egg mixture and coat in oats.
- Deep fry in batches until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes Drain well on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Garnish with orange slices and parsley.
Makes 6 servings.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.