Royal Seafood Lasagna
A bit of effort often produces great rewards, as in this four-seafood lasagna made with only fresh ingredients and lots of flavor. The sauce combines an abundance of herbs with juicy tomatoes to complement, not overpower, the delicate flavors of the salmon, lobster, shrimp and scallops.
1 (16-ounce) container ricotta cheese
1 (8-ounce) package goat cheese
1 large egg
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and chopped
25 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup minced fennel bulb
1 tablespoon crushed dried thyme
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, halved lengthwise
1/2 pound scallops, coarsely chopped
1/2 pound lobster meat, thinly sliced
1/2 pound salmon fillet, thinly sliced
1 (16-ounce) package lasagna noodles
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Mix together ricotta, goat cheese and egg; set aside.
- Heat olive oil with red pepper and garlic in a large skillet. Add tomatoes, basil, parsley, fennel, thyme, oregano and bay leaves. Stir-fry two minutes over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and discard bay leaves.
- Add shrimp, scallops, lobster and salmon. Stir well, cover and set aside.
- Drop lasagna noodles into boiling water and cook until they become flexible enough to work with, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Place a few teaspoons of tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish to coat. Arrange one-third of the noodles on the bottom, overlapping slightly for a firm foundation. Dot with half of the ricotta mixture and spread carefully but evenly.
- Using a slotted spoon, place half of the seafood on top of the ricotta mixture. Distribute evenly. Repeat the process with another third of the noodles, the rest of the ricotta mixture, the seafood (again using a slotted spoon), and the remaining lasagna noodles. Spoon the remaining tomato sauce on top of the lasagna. Cover tightly and bake 1 hour.
- Remove lasagna from the oven and let it set for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.