A hearty layered casserole starting with a bed of chopped spinach topped with chunks of canned salmon, cooked rice and covered with a creamy cheese sauce and shredded cheddar cheese.
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup rice
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 tablespoons grated onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups milk
1 (15.5-ounce) can salmon, drained, liquid reserved
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese - divided use
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bring water to boil in a 1 quart saucepan, stir in salt and rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff rice gently with a fork; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet heat butter over medium heat; sauté onion until tender. Add flour and dry mustard, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk and reserved salmon liquid. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add 1 cup of the cheese and cayenne pepper; stir to melt cheese.
- Spread spinach in baking dish. Layer salmon and rice and top with cheese sauce. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes until cheese melts.
Makes 8 servings.