Salmon Poached in Champagne with Capers & Tarragon
A decadent, yet light preparation for fresh salmon.
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
2 cups champagne
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon capers
4 (5-inch) fresh tarragon sprigs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place salmon in a shallow pan large enough to hold in a single layer.
- Add champagne, lemon juice and enough water to just cover fillets.
- Remove fish and bring poaching liquid to a boil.
- Lay fish back in pan and top with onion slices, capers, tarragon, salt and pepper. Reduce heat until liquid is at a low simmer and poach 4 to 6 minutes, depending on thickness of the fish. Fish is done when flesh is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove fish from liquid, along with onions, capers and tarragon. Drain well and serve immediately on warmed plates.
Makes 4 servings.