Salmon Potato Gratin
Thin slices of potato, chunks of smoked salmon and sautéed garlic and onion are layered with Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses.
2 pounds potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
1 medium onion, finely minced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 pound cooked salmon, flaked
2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place potato slices in a bowl of ice water.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Sauté until onion is transparent; remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Drain potatoes and layer in baking dish alternately with onion mixture, salmon, Gruyère cheese and Parmesan cheese, ending with potato slices. Dot with remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until the potatoes are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow cheese to set.
Makes 6 servings.