Shrimp and Scallop Fajitas with Red and Green Salsa
The seafood and vegetables in these fajitas are quick-marinated then grilled to tender perfection. Served with an avocado-enhanced salsa.
2 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons lime juice - divided use
1 1/2 cups tomato-based salsa
12 ounces jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 20 squares
1 large sweet onion, peeled, cut into 8 pieces and separated
12 ounces sea scallops
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 20 squares
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime peel
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- To make the salsa, toss the avocado with 2 teaspoons lime juice and gently stir into the prepared salsa. Let stand 20 minutes or refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Thread shrimp, red bell pepper and half the onion onto 4 (12-inch) skewers, running the skewer through each shrimp twice. Thread scallops, green bell pepper and remaining onion onto 4 more skewers. Place on a large shallow platter. Combine oil, honey, garlic, lime peel, pepper, salt and remaining 1/4 cup lime juice in a small bowl. Pour over skewers and marinate, turning occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill.
- Coat grill rack with vegetable cooking spray. Place skewers on grill rack 4 to 6 inches over medium-hot coals. Grill, turning once, until the seafood is opaque, allowing about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and heat them on the grill.
- Slide seafood and vegetables off of each skewer into a warm tortilla. Top with salsa. Roll up tortilla to enclose the filling. Eat fajitas out of hand. Serve with refried beans or Mexican rice, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Fisheries Institute.