Smoked Salmon Cakes
This large quantity recipe for salmon cakes, from the National Fisheries Institute, is perfect for a large parties and gatherings.
8 pounds smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
1 cup butter
2 cups finely chopped celery
2 cups chopped green bell pepper
2 cups finely chopped white onion
4 cups fresh bread crumbs
6 1/4 cups plain yogurt - divided use
4 large eggs
1 cup lemon juice
2 cups finely chopped seeded cucumber
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup olive oil - divided use
- Place salmon in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan; add celery, green pepper and onion. Cook until vegetables are translucent. Place cooked vegetables in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Add bread crumbs, 2 1/4 cups yogurt, eggs and lemon juice. Mix well with wood paddle or hands. Shape into 4-ounce patties and place on sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Hold in refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Place cucumber, dill and remaining 4 cups yogurt in a large mixing bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons oil. Place salmon patties in pan in a single layer. Sauté until golden brown on each side (about 8 minutes total). Remove and place on paper-towel lined pan. Continue to sauté patties until all are cooked; add oil as needed.
- To serve, top with sauce. Garnish with lemon wedges and dill sprigs, if desired.
Makes 50 cakes.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Fisheries Institute.