Smoky Fish and Potato Layer
Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
1 pound smoked cod or haddock, skinned and cubed
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
2 large zucchini, sliced
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced and parboiled
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes Remove from heat and gradually add milk.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring until sauce is thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in half the cheese and all the fish.
- Arrange half the zucchini and potatoes in a layer onto the base of a shallow oven-proof dish. Spoon over the fish mixture. Top with the remaining zucchini and potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables.
Makes 4 servings.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.