Southern Fried Florida Grouper
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup corn meal
4 (6-ounce) Florida grouper fillets
1/2 cup vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Beat eggs, salt and cayenne together in a shallow dish.
- In separate shallow bowl season flour with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place cornmeal in another shallow dish.
- Dredge each fillet in flour mixture, then dip in egg wash, then dredge again in the cornmeal.
- In a deep fry pan, heat 1-inch of the oil to 375°F (190°C) on a deep-fat thermometer.
- Fry the fillets in batches for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Transfer fillets to paper towels to drain; serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 531; Calories From Fat: 276; Total Fat: 31g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 170mg; Total Carbs: 23g; Protein: 39g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.