Spicy Indonesian Noodles
Recipe courtesy of National Fisheries Institute.
8 ounces thin spaghetti, uncooked
3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green or red pepper, seeded and chopped
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 cups cabbage, thinly shredded
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
8 ounces surimi seafood, crab flavored, chunk or flake style
- Cook pasta according to package directions, rinse in cold water, drain, toss with 1 tablespoon of oil and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to a heavy 12-inch skillet over medium heat; stir in onion, green pepper, celery and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and garlic, cook and stir 1 minute, or until cabbage is wilted.
- Add soy sauce and red hot pepper sauce.
Add cooked pasta to skillet, lifting with a salad fork and spoon tongs to coat with soy sauce and mix with sautéed vegetables.
- Arrange surimi seafood over pasta, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until surimi seafood is heated through.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 412; Total Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 17mg; Protein: 18g; Sodium: 1137mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Fisheries Institute.