Terrace Crab Pie
Perfect for brunch or supper, this elegant one-crust pie (or quiche) is filled with Swiss cheese and tender crab nestled in a savory egg custard.
1 cup sliced onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped crab
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
3 large eggs
2/3 cup half-and-half (light cream)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell*
1 tomato, sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Sauté sliced onions and chopped celery in butter until the onion is soft and golden. Spoon alternate layers of chopped crab, shredded Swiss cheese, and the onion/celery mix into unbaked pie shell.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper.
- Pour into the pastry shell over the other ingredients.
- Bake until the center is set, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly before cutting.
- Serve garnished with sliced tomato, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
*Use store bought ready-to-use, or homemade pastry using your favorite recipe, or ours: Basic Pie Crust 101.