Ambrosia Stuffed Sweet Potato
Baked sweet potatoes stuffed with an ambrosia mixture of nuts, coconut and fruit. Serve this recipe as a healthy breakfast alternative or as a dinnertime side dish with baked chicken, turkey or ham.
1 medium sweet potato, about 8 ounces
3 tablespoons light sour cream
2 tablespoons marshmallow creme
1 tablespoon sweetened flaked coconut
1 tablespoon chopped pecans
4 teaspoons drained crushed pineapple
4 dried apricot halves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Wash the sweet potato, pat dry and pierce in several places with a fork.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or microwave for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender when pricked with a fork. Let cool slightly.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl; blend well.
- Working lengthwise, slice sweet potato in half. Use a spoon to scoop out all but 1/4 inch of the flesh from each half.
- Place the scooped-out potato in a bowl, mash lightly with a fork; add about one-half of the ambrosia mixture to the mashed sweet potato; blend well. Spoon this mixture back into the potato skins and top each with the remaining ambrosia. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings. Recipe can be increased as needed.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.