Apple Stuffed Squash
Baked acorn squash filled with a delicious cinnamon-scented apple, celery, toasted pecan and rice stuffing.
2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups cooked white or brown rice (cooked in chicken broth)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
4 small apple wedges with peel
- Place squash cut-side down in shallow baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) 30 minutes.
- Turn squash cut-side up; brush with butter. Sprinkle with salt and cinnamon.
- Combine rice, applesauce, celery, pecans, brown sugar, onion powder and ginger.
- Fill squash evenly with rice stuffing.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes. Garnish with apple wedges.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.