Baked Beans with Hot Tomato Sauce
This hot and spicy pot of baked beans is just the ticket for those who like their foods with a some kick.
Hot Tomato Sauce:
3 cups tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
4 green onions, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 pound dry navy beans
1 1/2 quarts water
1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
1 1/3 cups onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon granules
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup chili sauce
3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
3 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To prepare Hot Tomato Sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stir well. Cover and chill at least 24 hours before serving.
- To prepare Baked Beans, drain and rinse soaked beans. Combine beans, water, beer, onion, garlic, and bouillon in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain bean mixture, reserving 1 1/2 cups liquid.
- Combine mixture, reserved cooking liquid and remaining ingredients. Stir well. Pour into 2 1/2 quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Spoon 1 cup beans into individual serving bowl, and top with 1/3 cup Hot Tomato Sauce.
Makes 9 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy The Michigan Bean Commission.