Basic Twice Baked Idaho Potatoes
Recipe courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.
4 large Idaho Potatoes (8 to 10 ounces each)
1 teaspoon olive oil (optional, for a softer skinned potato)
1/2 cup reduced fat ("Light") sour cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Milk (as desired, for consistency)
2 cups cooked, chopped vegetables
1 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Pierce potatoes with a fork several times. Rub potato skins with olive oil if a softer potato skin is desired. Bake potatoes directly on the middle oven rack for 50 to 60 minutes or until they yield to gentle pressure.
- While potatoes are still hot (use oven mitt to hold potato), cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the interior flesh of the potato into a medium sized bowl, leaving a shell about 1/4-inch thick all around. Using a potato masher, mash the potato flesh. Add sour cream and seasonings and mash until smooth, adding a little milk if necessary to make a smooth consistency. Stir in Add-Ins as desired.
- Adjust oven temperature to 400°F (205°C).
- Using a spoon, gently fill the potato shells with the potato mixture, mounding it up high. Place filled potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until hot.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe; does not include optional Add-Ins): Calories: 159; Total Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Total Carbs: 33g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 87mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.