Beans from the Latin Quarter
Navy beans dressed up with traditional Latino flavors.
1 1/2 cups dry navy beans, soaked in water overnight
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 onions, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon taco seasoning
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Drain soaked beans and set aside.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Cook 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add beans and seasonings. Mix well.
- Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Partly cover and cook beans 2 1/2 hours over medium heat. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed.
Makes 5 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy The Michigan Bean Commission.