Broccoli Gratin with Horseradish and Pecans
Baked vegetable dishes are a perennial potluck favorite and a staple of community cookbooks. This one combines a familiar green veggie with some delicious surprise ingredients: pecans for crunch and richness, and horseradish for spice.
2 (10-ounce) bags frozen broccoli florets
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, cut into strips
1/2 cup Georgia pecan, halves
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
3 tablespoons butter - divided use
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh lemon juice to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly oil a 9-inch round baking dish or pie plate; set aside.
- Thaw broccoli in skillet over medium heat. Drain well. Transfer to bowl and add red pepper and pecans. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in mayonnaise and horseradish sauce and cook over low, stirring, to make a smooth sauce.
- Pour sauce over broccoli, peppers, and pecans and stir gently to coat.
- Spread mixture in prepared baking dish; sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese. Dot with remaining tablespoon butter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 179; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 18mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 235mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Georgia Pecan Commission.