Chipolte-Glazed Vegetable Kebabs
Vegetable kebobs are glazed with a smoky, mildly spicy chipotle vinaigrette—which, by the way, is also great used on salads.
3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 canned chipotles en adobo, chopped
2 tablespoons adobo sauce from the chipotle can
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
2 medium-large zucchini, trimmed
18 small white mushrooms, stems trimmed flat with the caps
18 large cherry tomatoes, stemmed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For Chipotle Vinaigrette: In a food processor or blender, combine the sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic, chipotles, adobo and its sauce, and salt. Process until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add the oil through the hole in the lid: the dressing will thicken. Season with pepper and pulse to blend. Adjust the seasoning and pulse again just before using. Use immediately or cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days. The dressing may separate; return to room temperature, then rewhisk to blend.
- For Kebobs: Cut each zucchini crosswise into 9 equally thick slices. Trim the slices to form cubes. Divide the vegetables, alternating them, among 6 flat metal skewers. Be certain to arrange the flat sides of the zucchini cubes and the stem ends of the mushrooms so they will get the maximum exposure to the fire.
- Light a direct heat charcoal fire and let it burn down to medium-hot (5 seconds to "ouch") or preheat a gas grill to medium-high. Position the rack about 6 inches above the heat source.
- When the grill is ready, lightly brush the kebabs with some of the vinaigrette. Lay the kebabs on the rack, cover and grill, turning every 2 minutes and basting often with the vinaigrette, until it is used up and the vegetables are lightly colored by the grill, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Season with salt and pepper and slide the vegetables off the skewers onto plates. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.