Use this classic cornbread dressing to stuff the bird or bake it as a side dish casserole.
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cups soft bread crumbs
3 cups crumbled cornbread
3 cups chicken broth
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine celery mixture with bread crumbs and cornbread; mix well. Add broth, eggs, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and sage; mix well.
- Spoon into a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Bake until light brown and crisp around the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Or stuff it into a turkey or chicken for roasting.
Makes 8 servings.