Country Style Beans
Navy beans seasoned with bacon, green bell pepper, tomatoes and herbs.
1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans, soaked
6 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
6 strips bacon
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 peeled tomatoes, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Drain beans, cover with water and salt; simmer with pepper, garlic, and bay leaf for approximately 2 hours or until tender.
- Fry bacon until crisp; remove from pan and crumble.
- Sauté onions in bacon drippings until golden; add pepper and tomatoes and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in oregano and parsley.
- Drain beans reserving liquid. Mix beans thoroughly with all other ingredients. Place in 2-quart casserole, adding bean liquid to cover.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 1 hour, adding liquid if needed.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy The Michigan Bean Commission.