Golden Delicious Risotto
The perfect dish of risotto, creamy yet chewy, is worth some effort; find the right rice, use the best cheese, and keep on stirring!
4 to 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 cup arborio rice or short grain rice
2 cups diced, peeled Golden Delicious apples
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano cheese, plus more shaved for garnish
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly grated nutmeg for sprinkling
- In medium saucepan, heat broth to boiling; reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cover.
- In large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over low heat; add onion and sauté 3 minutes. Add rice and 1 cup diced apple; sauté, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in wine; stir until wine evaporates.
- Stirring, add enough hot broth (about 3/4 cup) to just cover rice. Adjust the heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook rice, stirring constantly, until almost all broth has been absorbed-about 4 minutes.
- Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring, and cooking until broth is absorbed. After 15 minutes, stir in remaining diced apples. Rice is done when creamy yet firm (al dente) in center. Total cooking time is 25 to 30 minutes, depending on rice.
- Remove risotto from heat; stir in remaining butter, 2 tablespoons Parmigiano, and salt. Spoon into bowls or deep plates; sprinkle with nutmeg and top with shaved Parmigiano.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.