Recipe courtesy of Paul Kahan, Chef-Owner of Blackbird, Avec, Big Star and The Publican in Chicago, Illinois.
1 garlic clove, smashed
3 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
Butter, as needed
3 Idaho® potatoes
Saffron, as needed
3 garlic cloves, sliced
- Simmer smashed garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil and a knob of butter in a small saucepan over low heat until ingredients are blended.
- Place potatoes horizontally on a cutting board. Starting at one end, thinly slice each potato, cutting three quarters through potato. Be careful not to completely cut through potato.
- Drizzle garlic oil mixture over potatoes and bake about 40 minutes in a preheated 425°F (220°C) oven, until exterior is crispy and interior is soft.
- While potatoes are baking, heat saffron, sliced garlic and remaining olive oil in a saucepan over low heat. Slowly bring oil to a light simmer and when garlic is golden, remove pan from heat to infuse until potatoes are done.
- When potatoes are done, strain saffron oil through a fine meshed strainer. Drizzle about a tablespoon of oil over each baked potato and serve.
Makes 3 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.