Hushpuppies, a Southern treat most often served as an accompaniment to catfish, are deep-fried cornmeal dumplings.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 onion, grated
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
- Preheat 2-inches of oil in deep-fat fryer or Dutch oven to 360°F (180°C).
- In large mixing bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar; make a well in center. Set aside
- In small bowl mix together onion, egg and milk, blending well. Pour into well and stir until well combined.
- Carefully drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Do not over-crowd the cooking vessel.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.
Makes 24 hush puppies.