Idaho Potato and Caramelized Onion Tart
An elegant potato tart topped with caramelized onions, Swiss cheese and a crispy bread crumb topping.
1 large (about 9 ounces) Idaho potato, peeled and thinly sliced
6 tablespoons butter, melted - divided use
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese*
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (plain or seasoned)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl, toss potato slices with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter and the salt. Arrange the slices in a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom, or 10-inch pie pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, prepare the onions: In a small skillet, over medium heat, sauté the onion in 3 tablespoons of the melted butter until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to low, sprinkle the onions with the sugar and continue to cook until onions are deep brown, but not burned or crispy, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When potatoes are done, remove from the oven (leave oven on) and spread the onion mixture over them. Sprinkle the top with the cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle the mixture over the cheese.
- Return the tart to the oven to bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and crumb topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let tart cool 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
*Substitute reduced fat Swiss cheese to reduce calories and fat.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission.