Idaho® Potato Spinach Balls
Recipe courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.
4 Idaho® potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
1/2 cup all-purpose flour - divided use
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Lemon wedges for accompaniment (optional)
- Lightly brush a baking sheet with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, spinach and eggs. Beat with mixer until well-blended. Season with nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Add the cheese and 1/4 cup of the flour. Stir until flour is well-blended.
- Spread the remaining 1/4 cup flour onto a glass plate and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using 2 teaspoons, form the spinach mixture into 1-inch balls. Drop the spinach balls onto the flour-covered plate. Roll balls in the flour to coat and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Remove balls from the refrigerator; spray them lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Serve plain, or sprinkle balls with lemon juice, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 56; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 22mg; Total Carbs: 7g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 42mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.