Korean Style Mushroom Skewers
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
12 ounces fresh white mushrooms
2 bunches (about 10) large scallions (green onions)
2 medium sized yellow and/or green bell peppers
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark Asian sesame oil
4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped (about 4 teaspoon)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted* - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Trim mushroom stems; cut in 1/2-inch thick slices. Cut white parts of scallions into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Trim and finely chop enough scallion greens to make 1/4 cup; set aside for later use. Cut bell peppers in 1 1/2-inch squares.
- Thread mushrooms onto skewers so they will lie flat on the grill, alternating with scallion whites and bell pepper squares, threaded crosswise. Arrange skewers in a snug-fitting baking dish.
- To prepare marinade: In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, oil, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds and the black pepper. Pour marinade over skewers; turn to coat all sides; cover and marinate 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, turning once.
- Preheat grill or broiler to high.
- Place skewers on a rack; grill or broil, brushing often with marinade, until mushrooms are tender and vegetables are browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle with reserved chopped scallion greens and remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seeds; serve hot or at room temperature.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 156; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 23g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 1040mg; Potassium: 604mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.