Maple Sweet Potato-Apple Casserole
This tasty sweet potato casserole recipe incorporates parts of a recipe originally printed in a Cook's Illustrated magazine.
5 medium sweet potatoes
3 to 4 large baking apples
7 tablespoons real maple syrup - divided use
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or black walnuts (optional)
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons apple juice
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- To Bake Casserole in Oven: Peel sweet potatoes, halve lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. In large pot of boiling water over high heat, parboil sweet potato slices until bright orange and point of sharp knife easily pierces but does not break apart slices, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, while sweet potatoes are boiling, peel, core and slice apples, then sauté in non-stick skillet in 2 tablespoons maple syrup over medium heat until softened but not mushy, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place sweet potatoes in even layer in buttered 13x9x2-inch baking dish, overlapping as needed. Top evenly with apples. Sprinkle evenly with pecans, if desired.
- In 2-cup measure, whisk together melted butter, remaining 5 tablespoons maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In small bowl, whisk together apple juice and cornstarch until smooth. Whisk into butter mixture. Pour evenly over apples and sweet potatoes.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 375°F (190°C) until liquid is bubbly, about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until liquid thickens to glaze potatoes and apples, about 15 minutes.
- To Make Ahead and Reheat: Cook sweet potatoes in skins in microwave; pierce first with fork and cook on high 12 to 14 minutes, turning over halfway through, until tender. Let cool, peel and slice. Cook apples as above.
- Layer in soufflé dish, alternating sweet potatoes and apples and sprinkling pecans (if desired) and pouring butter-maple-cornstarch mixture over every layer. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Bring to room temperature and heat with turkey in 325°F (160°C) oven last 30 minutes of roasting time, or until hot. Or, heat in microwave 3 to 4 minutes on high power.
Makes 12 servings.
Variation: Substitute rum or bourbon for apple juice.