Parmesan Asparagus Spears
Crisp-tender asparagus spears tossed in a balsamic Dijon vinaigrette and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 pounds asparagus spears
2 tablespoons freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- Stir together vinegar, oil, mustard in a large bowl. Set aside while cooking asparagus.
- Heat 2-inches of water and half the salt to boiling in a large, deep skillet.
- Break or slice off the lower stems of the asparagus spears. Rinse and place half the spears in the boiling water.
- Cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or just until tender crisp. Transfer asparagus to the bowl with the vinegar mixture.
- Duplicate process with remaining asparagus.
- Toss gently until spears are evenly coated.
- Place asparagus on serving plate. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 52; Protein 3.8 grams; Fat 1.1 grams; Calories from Fat 19%; Carbohydrate 6.5 grams; Cholesterol 1 mg; Fiber 3.1 grams; Sodium 336 mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Asparagus Commission.