Potato Torte with Cabbage, Bacon and Cheddar
A tasty, Irish-style sliced potato and cabbage torte with bacon and Irish cheddar cheese.
1/2 head green cabbage or savoy cabbage
1 tablespoon butter
4 ounces bacon, diced
4 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
Salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Irish cheddar or havarti cheese*
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Blanch cabbage in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Place in colander and refresh with cold water. Shake colander to remove excess water.
- Melt butter in a deep skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook gently until bacon is crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; reserve fat. Toss bacon with cabbage.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Toss them with reserved fat.
- In a deep, 9-inch pie pan, place a layer of potatoes. Sprinkle lightly with cheese and top with half of the cabbage mixture. Top with another sprinkle of cheese. Top with another layer of potatoes and repeat the cabbage and cheese layers, using up all the remaining cabbage mixture and cheese. End with a layer of potatoes. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Remove from oven and either serve hot or allow to cool to room temperature and cut into wedges.
Makes 8 servings.
*Purchase Irish cheddar cheese at markets and specialty shops that specialize in imported cheese.