Potato Mushroom Puff
A terrific mashed potato and mushroom puff casserole with a buttery bread crumb topping.
8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 clove garlic, peeled
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup half-and-half
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley or 4 teaspoons parsley flakes
1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Boil potatoes and garlic in salted water. Cook until tender. Drain and discard garlic.
- Meanwhile, sauté mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter. Set aside.
- Whip potatoes with 4 tablespoons butter, using an electric mixer. Add half-and-half, egg yolks, salt and pepper.
- Stir in mushrooms and parsley. Spoon into buttered, shallow 2 quart casserole.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss with soft bread crumbs. Top potatoes with crumbs.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.