Simple Roasted Potatoes
Crispy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside, a simple side dish of roasted chunks of potato, seasoned with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
Non-stick cooking spray
6 medium russet potatoes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs such as flat-leaf parsley, tarragon, basil or chives
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Line a sided baking sheet with foil, spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch chunks. Remove excess moisture from the exterior of the potato chunks by patting dry with paper towels.
- Place potato chunks on prepared baking sheet; add the oil, salt and pepper and using your impeccably clean hands, toss potatoes to coat evenly.
- Roast uncovered in oven, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are golden brown and tender when pierced, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle roasted potatoes with the chopped fresh herbs of your choice, gently stirring to distribute. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
- The fresh herbs can be omitted entirely, if desired.
- Sprinkle hot-from-the-oven potatoes with your choice of cheese such as about 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or 1 cup shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss or mozzarella.
- Experiment with various flavors, mixing and matching the type of cheese with various fresh herbs.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 256.9 calories; 29% calories from fat; 8.7g total fat; 10.2mg cholesterol; 39.0mg sodium; 933.4mg potassium; 41.7g carbohydrates; 3.2g fiber; 2.4g sugar; 38.5g net carbs; 5.0g protein.