Italian-style stuffed zucchini with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
6 to 8 medium zucchini
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 to 2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup chopped mushrooms
3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Wash zucchini, trim stems, and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp from the center and reserve. Set shells aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter; sauté onion until golden. Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook over medium heat until liquid has evaporated. Add reserved zucchini pulp and seasonings; mix well.
- Pile mixture into zucchini shells and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until tender and browned.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.