Sweet Potato, Cheddar and Cider Gratin
A savory sweet potato casserole with onions, smoked cheddar cheese, nutmeg and a delightful note of apple cider in the mix.
1/4 cup olive oil - divided use
2 large onions, peeled and sliced thin
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded smoked cheddar cheese
ground nutmeg, to taste
1 1/2 cups apple cider
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the oil over the bottom and sides of a 13×9-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until quite soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To make the gratin, alternate layers of the onion, sweet potatoes and cheese. Sprinkle each layer lightly with salt, pepper (if desired) and nutmeg, reserving 2/3 cup cheese. Pour the cider over the whole gratin.
- Cover tightly and bake 30 minutes to 1 hour or until the potatoes are almost tender. Remove cover and bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over all and bake 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of www.butterball.com.