Chef Berry's Cranberry Chicken Stew
Tom Berry, Executive Chef of Bambara Restaurant in Cambridge, Massachusetts, uses cranberries to create rather untraditional holiday dishes that still work in the flavors of the season. According to Chef Berry, “Cranberries are an essential part of the holiday meal, and it’s more than just the sauce. I've added the popular fruit to stuffing, marinades and appetizers.” Try this signature dish yourself and see just how easy it is to cook with cranberries.
4 chicken legs, thighs attached
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup canola oil
1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced 1/4-inch thick
2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
2 celery stalks, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 1/2 pounds red bliss potatoes, washed and quartered
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 cup Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
1 1/2 cups Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice Cocktail
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C) and an oven-proof skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and thoroughly dredge in flour.
- Pour the canola oil in the preheated pan and sear the chicken legs on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Set the chicken aside and carefully pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the onion, carrot, celery, potato, garlic and cranberries. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the cranberry juice cocktail, red wine, sugar, cinnamon stick and chicken legs to the pan and bring to a simmer. Check for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Remove from the stove and make sure the chicken legs are submerged in the liquid. Cover tightly with lid or foil and bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and let rest covered for at least 15 minutes. Serve the chicken legs in bowls with the vegetables and broth.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe created by Chef Tom Berry.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.