Creole Beef Soup
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
3 to 4 pounds beef shank or neck bones
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup sliced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cups chopped cabbage
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups hot cooked rice for accompaniment (optional)
- Combine beef, 4 cups water, tomatoes, onion, celery, garlic, bouillon cubes, salt, black pepper and red pepper in Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours.
- Remove beef from bones; cut into small pieces.
- Skim fat from soup.
- Stir in beef, cabbage and bell pepper; continue cooking, covered, 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve with rice, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.