GroGood Vegetable Garden Soup
Inspired by her mom's vegetable soup, celebrity cookbook author Katie Lee Joel created this recipe to use produce fresh from the garden.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped
1 pint Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1 3/4 pounds fresh tomatoes, chopped (can substitute a 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes with juice, chopped)
2 quarts chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 cup baby lima beans
1 (15-ounce) can great Northern or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery, and bay leaf and cook until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, turnip, and Brussels sprouts and continue cooking until the vegetables are just tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices and the stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the beans, salt, and pepper, and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of ScottsMiracle-Gro; through ARA Content.