Irish Oatmeal Soup
A hearty, clove-scented Irish vegetable and oatmeal soup topped with a dollop of whipped unsweetened cream.
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup diced potatoes
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 pound fresh spinach
4 cups chicken stock or broth
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup Irish oatmeal (steel cut oats)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Unsweetened whipped cream for accompaniment
- In a skillet or pan, melt the butter over a low heat. Add diced potatoes, mushrooms and sliced onions and cook until soft.
- Wash spinach. Remove stalks and tough stems and chop finely.
- Transfer carrots and onions, mushrooms and spinach to a saucepan and add the stock, salt and pepper to taste, cloves and diced potatoes. Stir in the Irish oatmeal and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Purée soup with a hand-held blender or in small batches in a conventional blender or food processor.
- To serve, ladle soup in bowls and top with a small dollop of whipped cream.
Makes 4 servings.