Louisiana Mardi Gras Oyster Stew
A simple and deliciously spicy Cajun-style cream of oyster stew.
1 1/4 cups water
3 dozen small to medium oysters, in their liquor
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped celery
3/4 teaspoon Cajun seafood seasoning
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
2 cups whipping cream
- Add water to the oysters and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Strain and reserve oysters and oyster water; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine butter, celery, seafood seasoning and 3/4 cup of reserved oyster water in a large skillet. Cook over high heat for 3 minutes, shaking pan (versus stirring) almost constantly.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup oyster water and continue cooking and shaking the pan for 1 minute.
- Stir in green onions. Gradually add cream, whisking constantly. Add oysters and cook just until the edges begin to curl, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, stirring well as you ladle out portions.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Fisheries Institute.