Orange, Carrot and Chervil Soup
An elegant orange-scented cream of carrot soup with fresh chopped chives and dried chervil.
5 cups low sodium chicken stock, defatted - divided use
4 cups peeled and sliced carrots
1 Spanish onion, sliced
1 zest of a navel orange
1/2 cup orange juice (2 navel oranges)
3/4 cup (6 ounces) skim milk Wisconsin Ricotta cheese
1/3 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup chopped chives
1 teaspoon dried chervil
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 1 cup of stock in a heavy gauge soup pot. Heat carrots and onion in stock 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add remaining stock, half of the orange zest and all of the orange juice; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 35 to 40 minutes.
- In blender, purée soup in batches. Season with salt and pepper; chill.
- In another bowl, combine ricotta, milk, chives, chervil and remaining orange zest; blend well.
- Ladle approximately 1 cup soup into a bowl. Swirl 2 to 3 tablespoons of seasoned cheese mixture into each portion of chilled soup and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.