Pork and Mixed Mushroom Stew
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
1 pound fresh portabella and/or shiitake mushrooms
3 tablespoons vegetable oil - divided use
1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large red and/or yellow peppers, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup dry white wine
- Trim and cut portabellas in large pieces; remove shiitake stems and cut caps in halves.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until hot. Add pork, cook, stirring frequently, until it loses its pink color, 8 to 9 minutes; remove to plate and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to pan; add onion, pepper and mushrooms; cover and cook until slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch, thyme, salt and pepper with 3/4 cup water; stir into skillet along with the wine. Cook uncovered, stirring often until sauce is clear and slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in pork. Heat only until hot. If desired, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 625; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 74mg; Total Carbs: 93g; Fiber: 15g; Protein: 35g; Sodium: 609mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.