Roasted Mushroom and Fennel Soup with Ranch Cream
Savory, warm roasted mushroom and fennel soup served with dollops of ranch-flavored cream definitely rates as company fare.
6 small fennel bulbs, stalks removed and sliced into thin wedges
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
Extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, smashed
6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped from the stem
3 1/2 pounds white button mushrooms, sliced in half
3 quarts chicken stock
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
1 (1-ounce) packet Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
- Spread mushrooms, onion, fennel, garlic and thyme on large sheet tray or non-stick roasting dish (may require 2 pans to accommodate all vegetables). Sprinkle pieces of butter evenly over vegetables; drizzle liberally with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; roast 25 to 30 minutes. Mushrooms and fennel should be tender and slightly caramelized when done.
- Remove tray from oven and transfer all ingredients (including pan juices) to large pot. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and purée until completely smooth, using handheld or regular blender.
- Return soup to cooking pot and stir in heavy cream; simmer gently for additional 5 minutes. Salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- While soup simmers, in a small mixing bowl, combine ranch salad dressing and seasoning mix, sour cream and chopped chives.
- To serve, ladle soup into soup bowls and garnish each serving with a swirl of ranch cream and chives.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy The Clorox Company/Hidden Valley, member of The Association For Dressings and Sauces.