Rosy Berry Soup
This elegant, cinnamon-scented raspberry and red wine cream soup makes a perfect starter or dessert course for a special meal.
1 (20-ounce) package frozen raspberries
2 cups red wine
2 1/2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup heavy cream
- In a deep stainless steel saucepan (the mixture will discolor aluminum), combine frozen raspberries (thawed), red wine, water, and cinnamon stick. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Press the raspberry mixture through a sieve, and return mixture to saucepan; discarding the seeds.
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and a 1/4 cup of the raspberry mixture; stirring well.
- Bring the raspberry liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Chill for 6 to 8 hours. Whip cream to soft peaks and drizzle in the soup, swirling in with a knife.
Makes 6 servings.