Shrimp and Andouille Sausage Gumbo
Spicy, authentic Cajun-style shrimp and andouille sausage gumbo with okra, served over cooked rice.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
1 pound smoked andouille or kielbasa sausage, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 pound okra, trimmed, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
Freshly cooked rice
2 fresh tomatoes, chopped for accompaniment
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir until dark red-brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add celery, onions and bell peppers. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix in bay leaves, salt, oregano and cayenne. Add clam juice, canned tomatoes and sausage. Boil 15 minutes.
- Add okra, reduce heat and simmer until okra is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp to gumbo and simmer until just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon rice in soup bowls. Ladle gumbo over and sprinkle with tomatoes.
Makes 8 servings.