Thai Noodle Soup
"This can be adapted to using whatever ingredients you have handy and makes an interesting, clear, spicy soup." Recipe submitted by Jay.
6 ounces Thai rice noodles
1 teaspoon sunflower oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 stalk lemongrass
1 strip of lime peel
2 quarts chicken stock
1 finely chopped, seeded red chile
1 ounce fresh spinach, well-rinsed, finely shredded
1 bunch cilantro sprigs
- Boil about 1 quart water in a medium saucepan; place a large, heat-proof mixing bowl on wire rack. Place rice noodles into bowl; when water boils pour water over noodles. Allow noodles to soak 4-5 minutes; drain and return noodles to bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, deep heavy-bottomed skillet. Add chopped garlic, sauté for 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Crush lemongrass; add to skillet. Add lime peel and stock; cook 10 minutes.
- Strain stock (if necessary) into a large bowl, return strained stock to saucepan, add chili, cook 3 minutes. Add noodles and shredded spinach; cook 1 additional minute.
- Ladle into bowls and top with sprigs of cilantro.
Makes 3 servings.