This quick and easy vegetable chowder is ready to eat in just minutes.
1/2 cup butter
1 small onion, chopped or 2 teaspoons dehydrated onion
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup shredded carrot (1 medium)
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 package onion soup mix (optional)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups milk
1 cup mixed vegetables, frozen or canned
1 cup diced potato, cooked
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add carrots, spices and soup mix, stirring well. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in flour until completely absorbed.
- Gradually stir in 2 cups milk to make a thick cream sauce.
- Add remaining milk and vegetables. Simmer over low heat until thick, but do not boil.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.