A delicious soup with meatballs cooked in chicken broth with chopped curly endive and swirls of thin threads of cooked egg mixed with Parmesan cheese.
8 ounces ground beef
8 ounces ground pork
1 small onion, finely minced
1 slice white bread, crumbled
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 large egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
12 cups chicken broth
1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs
2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan for garnish
- For Meatballs: In a large bowl, combine ingredients, mixing well. Shape meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs, place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- For the Soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and cheese together in bowl.
- Stir the soup while gradually drizzling the egg mixture into the broth. Stir gently with a fork for about a minute to form thin stands of egg.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup hot garnished with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Makes 6 servings.